Yes, the MSI package has the following:

<Package Platform="x86" Description="$(var.AppNameLong)"
              InstallerVersion="500"
              Compressed="yes" InstallScope="perMachine"
              SummaryCodepage="!(loc.SummaryCodepage)" />

When this package is launched as part of the bundle chain the log indicates
that ALLUSERS is 1.

This package has been installing with the feature advertized, but without
complaining about this registry value for some time.  However I recently
refactored some of the wxs files to make then more maintainable, and I moved
this registry key to a different fragment, but also associated with the same
advertised feature.

This old code, which did not result in an error, and the key was written
during the advertised portion of the install:
<Fragment>
    <ComponentGroup Id="QD_HKLM_SOFTWARE_RegKeys">
      <Component Directory="QuickDiscDir">
        <RegistryValue Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\Company" Name="SDA"
Value="0" Type="integer" KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>
  </Fragment>

This is the current code which does result in the error (but only when being
installed as result of advertised feature):
  <Fragment>
    <ComponentGroup Id="$(var.ProductAbreviation).uniqueProperties"
Directory="$(var.ProductDir)">
      <Component>
        <RegistryValue Root="HKLM" Key="$(var.Release_CompanyRegKey)"
Name="SDA" Value="[SDA]" Type="integer" KeyPath="yes" />
      </Component>
    </ComponentGroup>
  </Fragment>

I also found that I can add AllowAdvertise="no" to the feature and avoid the
problem, but I appreciate any advice so that I can understand this behavior
and learn the best practices to avoid this problem.