The general methodology is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367525(v=vs.85).aspx

That covers the APIs which probably have C# mappings in DTF (if that's
what you're using)

The status text comes from the ActionText MSI table, WiX ProgressText.
The format is templated and many setups use standard lists of actions.
You don't need any code to show your custom action in the status, it's
just an action in ProgressText with whatever text you want to provide.
If you have the need to dynamically provide your own text, see this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11722541/wix-dynamically-changing-the-status-text-during-customaction

Phil Wilson