Yes that is basically what InstallShield is doing and again the only reason
that we are still supporting this is that we still have administrators that
push out our software by .msi only and therefore we had to support a multi
.msi package so that they only had to push out a single .msi file instead of
multiple packages. Some of our packages contain up to 30 .msi projects and
therefore pushing one .msi is preferable.

Now we are starting to get our admin customers to switch over to our Wrapper
.exe packages that have full support for admin silent pushes and supports
our full range of properties, but we have not fully got that transition in
place and therefore have to continue to support the chain .msi projects.

So yes it could be that the assembly registration transaction could be
causing the issue if CreateShortcuts happens way before this, but then just
a single .msi has the same issue where CreateShortcuts occurs before
MsiPublishAssemblies and therefore it is not only the Chain that we have
seen this issue.

So I know that CreateShortcuts is msi Microsoft action, but what does it do
that makes sxs get triggered. Does the creation of the shortcut access the
.exe in someway that is triggering a sxs error because the assemblies have
not been registered yet?

Again it is not a big issue as after install all apps work as expected, it
is only when there are issues and when we ask the customers for logs and
what not we see these sxs errors and it just does not look good and the
install gets blamed for a lot of issues, some of which like these ones we
can not do anything about. At least not that we have found...