Why doesn't that work today?

From: Martin Cornelius [mailto:martin-cornel...@t-online.de]
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2015 12:54 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Downgrading a Bundle ?

I know this has been asked before (and answered as 'impossible'), but perhaps
something has changed during the last 6 months ?

We're envisioning to create an Installer that uses Burn - for two reasons:

-           we'd like to check for prerequisites and install them
automatically

-           we'd like to implement a polished UI - leveraging existing WPF
skills of our developers

However, from the documentation (means : the PACKT book and this list), I
conclude that Burn does not support a DOWNGRADE of the installed bundle
version. An example to make clear what I mean:

-           The end user installs a bundle with version 1.0, (which contains
an MSI with version 1.0)

-           The end user upgrades to bundle version 2.0, (which contains an
MSI with version 1.1)

-           The end user detects (after a while) that something is no longer
working, thus she needs
to go back to version 1.0 (of the bundle, of Course, she doesn't' even know
there is an embedded MSI in the bundle).

This scenario is a really crucial requirement in our case. AFAIK, this is
not possible with bundles - To gain DOWNGRADE capability, we have to resort
to 'plain' WiX/MSI (without Burn). Is this really true - and if so, are
there any plans to change this in the near future ?

Kid regards, Maretin