I have done some experiments with 'bob' (bundle of bundles).  I may not have
it all figured out yet, but what I have done is this:

1) Add this to the parent bundle (I do this for every bundle, even when not
planning to do 'bob', so that in the future I can decide to create a related
Addon or Upgrade as needed.):
<RelatedBundle Action='Detect' Id='RelatedBundle_GUID_For_This_Bundle' />

2) in the child bundle:
<RelatedBundle Action='Detect'
Id='RelatedBundle_GUID_For_This_Bundle-different than above' />
<RelatedBundle Action='Addon' Id='The above Parent bundle's
RelatedBundle_GUID' />

You may want to pick a different Action behavior from 'Addon'.

3) In the parent bundle I add the child bundle using an ExePackage like
this:
  &lt;Fragment>
    &lt;!-- Contrary to the chm, DetectCondition must be specified when the
package is a Bundle. http://wixtoolset.org/issues/3693/ -->
    &lt;PackageGroup Id="DistISsetup">
      &lt;ExePackage Id="DistISsetup" PerMachine="yes" Permanent="no"
Vital="yes" Protocol="burn"
                  Compressed="no"
                  DownloadUrl="!(wix.myReleaseUrl){2}"
                  Name="myChildBundle\myChildBundle.exe"
                  SourceFile="myChildBundle.exe"
                  InstallCondition="1=1"
                  DetectCondition="1=0"

        &lt;ExitCode Value="3010" Behavior="scheduleReboot" />
      &lt;/ExePackage>
    &lt;/PackageGroup>
  &lt;/Fragment>

When I added all of the event handlers that are related to Related Bundles
to my mba with logging messages (or debug) I found that the default
behaviour of Burn made it unnecessary for me to try and 'detect' whether the
child bundle is installed, as I indicated earlier.  In the situation where I
do not use a RelatedBundle then I write a registry key to a known location
using the child bundle and use that info in the non-bundle parent to detect
the child bundle.  But when using Burn for both bundles, so far for me, it
just works and I don't do anything to detect the child bundle.  Thanks wix
devs!