Hi,

I've created a custom managed bootstrapper using Burn which executes an MSI
during the install phase. This MSI installs/configures a database.

During the UI phase I'm currently using this SQL statement to determine whether
I'm allowed to create a database:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM fn_my_permissions(NULL, 'SERVER') WHERE permission_name =
N'CREATE ANY DATABASE' OR permission_name = 'ALTER ANY LOGIN'

This works most of the time.

However, there is a scenario where this fails: The user running the setup has
the required permissions on the database by means of being a member of the
Builtin\Administrators group. This only gives the user the required permissions
when running UAC elevated.

In this case, the UI portion is run non-elevated and thus the user does not
have the permissions to create databases. However, the setup would be able to
create the database during the InstallExecute portion, because that part runs
elevated.

Is there a way to work around this issue? Or should I just ask the user whether
he wants to continue with the setup despite it being unable to determine
whether he has sufficient privileges?

Thanks in advance,
Henning