2009/9/28 T. R. Valentine <trvalent...@gmail.com>

> What is the proper way to start an ordered list at a value other than
> '1' in XHTML?
> I had
>   <ol start="9">
>  flagged because 'there is no attribute "start"'

The only valid way to change the numbering of lists in strict XHTML is to
put a value="" on each LI. I have to admit in some scenarios I've used start
anyway and just worn the validation error. But if you're generating the list
perhaps you can use value without too much hassle.

The deprecation of "start" was... well I consider it a mistake! Thankfully
it has been reversed in HTML5 (
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/semantics.html#the-ol-element) so eventually the
better solution will both work AND validate. I've never been able to
understand why people thought the numbers weren't a critical part of the
document, as opposed to display style! :)

cheers,

Ben

--
--- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not