----- Original Message -----
> The gcc reponse to this problem is "not a bug" since the standard requires
> len=1 as the only valid thing for type c_char in the iso_c_binding
> The FORTRAN group response is that gcc has had a bug allowing len>1 since
> this has been true since FORTRAN 2003.
>
> So...unless we put pressure on gcc to maintain backwards compatibility our
> shared data structure is going to need to be modified to some crazy thing to
> copy char arrays around....
>
> Thoughts?
>
> de Mike W9MDB

Thanks for info, so that's what I was afraid about - it exploited / relied upon
undocumented GNU specific bug / feature.

I think gfortran should have something like -std=gnuf2003 for full backward
compatibility like gcc has. But the correct thing to do is not to rely
on GNU specific behavior and fix the code to be according to the standard.

I think two wrapper functions to copy strings in/out should do it. I think
the performance overhead to copy few bytes shouldn't cause any visible
performance impact. At the moment I have no better idea how to quickly
fix it

thanks & regards

Jaroslav, OK2JRQ