The point is that it does the lookup, how it does the lookup is up to
whoever makes this new desktop. That person just has to make sure to
provide a version of xdg-mime that works on this new desktop.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman