KDE uses
for application specific icons.

It doesn't use XDG_PREFIX and neither should it as long as
$XDG_DATA_DIR/apps is not part of any XDG specification.

Waldo Bastian
Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
Channel Platform Solutions Group
Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman