Happy New Year! I think it's time I send you an update:
I have spent a considerable amount of time trying to get the latest firmware working, but I find a way that does the job. When I replaced the file with yours, the machine directly restarts on application of the firmware. All ways I have tried either result in the firmware not being considered or the machine rebooting on application. The machine is dual boot with Archlinux and on Archlinux, I have the latest firmware running. I have reached out to the Qubes people for help getting the latest firmware working. I'll let you know when I succeed with that.

~Joe