On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 10:53:49PM +0000, Julien Grall wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> On 21/02/2024 02:55, George Dunlap wrote:

> > >  From all prior discussion my conclusion was "no tarball at all".
> >
> > Or at very least, the tarball would be a simple `git archive` of a
> > release tag.   Right now the tarball creation has a number of
> > annoyingly manual parts about it.
> At the moment we have the following steps:
>
> 1) Checkout tag
> 2) Create the tarball
> 3) Check the source tarball can build
> 4) Sign the tarball
> 5) Upload it
>
> I managed to script it so I have only two commands to execute (mostly
> because I build and sign on a different host).
>
> AFAIU, your command 'git archive' will only replace 2. Am I correct? If so,
> it is not entirely clear how your proposal is going to make it better.

IMO building for release tarballs is easier than from a git checkout
(or archive).  It's a bit annoying to have to pre-download the
external project sources, now even more as QEMU is using git
submodules.

Most distro binary builders have infrastructure to deal with all this,
but requires a bit more logic in the recipe than a plain just fetch a
tarball and build from it.

Thanks, Roger.