On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 02:43:44PM -0700, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 08:55:56AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:

> > > Please point to specific details which have been omitted.  Fairly little
> > > data has been provided as fairly little data is available.  The primary
> > > observation is large numbers of:
> > >
> > > (XEN) AMD-Vi: IO_PAGE_FAULT: DDDD:bb:dd.f d0 addr ffffff???????000 flags
> > > 0x8 I
> > >
> > > Lines in Xen's ring buffer.
> >
> > Yet this is (part of) the problem: By providing only the messages that
> > appear
> > relevant to you, you imply that you know that no other message is in any way
> > relevant. That's judgement you'd better leave to people actually trying to
> > investigate. Unless of course you were proposing an actual code change, with
> > suitable justification.
>
> Honestly, I forgot about the very small number of messages from the SATA
> subsystem.  The question of whether the current mitigation actions are
> effective right now was a bigger issue.  As such monitoring `xl dmesg`
> was a priority to looking at SATA messages which failed to reliably
> indicate status.
>
> I *thought* I would be able to retrieve those via other slow means, but a
> different and possibly overlapping issue has shown up.  Unfortunately
> this means those are no longer retrievable.   :-(

With some persistence I was able to retrieve them.  There are other
pieces of software with worse UIs than Xen.

> > In fact when running into trouble, the usual course of action would be to
> > increase verbosity in both hypervisor and kernel, just to make sure no
> > potentially relevant message is missed.
>
> More/better information might have been obtained if I'd been engaged
> earlier.

This is still true, things are in full mitigation mode and I'll be
quite unhappy to go back with experiments at this point.

I now see why I left those out.  The messages from the SATA subsystem
were from a kernel which a bad patch had leaked into a LTS branch.  Looks
like the SATA subsystem was significantly broken and I'm unsure whether
any useful information could be retrieved.  Notably there is quite a bit
of noise from SATA devices not effected by this issue.

Some of the messages /might/ be useful, but the amount of noise is quite
high.  Do messages from a broken kernel interest you?

 \BS (    |         ehem+sig...@m5p.com  PGP 87145445         |    )   /
8A19\___\_|_/58D2 7E3D DDF4 7BA6 <-PGP-> 41D1 B375 37D0 8714\_|_/___/5445