Arthur,

The current Dumps infrastructure is in maintenance mode. But I'd be
definitely nice to consider SHA-256 for Dumps 2.0.

What Federico mentions seems like the best choice if you need this now.
Dumps 2.0 will take a long while, but do feel free to open the task at
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/ and tag it with "Dumps 2.0". Kindly
please describe your use case over there as well.

Thanks,
-xabriel

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 10:34 PM Arthur D. Edelstein <
arthuredelst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Many thanks, Federico! I am taking this approach.
>
> On Sat, Apr 20, 2024 at 10:41 AM Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemow...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Adding new checksum files may or may not be a big deal. If the snapshot
>> hosts have enough memory to keep the files in cache a bit longer, so
>> they don't need to be read back from disk, running new checksums may be
>> very fast.
>>
>> https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Dumps has more information on the
>> setup.
>>
>> Il 20/04/24 03:40, Arthur D. Edelstein ha scritto:
>> > In order to get the
>> > SHA-256 for the timestamp, I need to download each file and compute the
>> > hash.
>>
>> I understand it's suboptimal, but if you're in a rush you can also use
>> Toolforge and create a tool, a bit like
>> https://dump-torrents.toolforge.org/ , to run sha256sum on the
>> appropriate files (which are mounted even on the bastion host). I/O
>> tends to be rather slow but may still be faster than your networking.
>>
>> Best,
>>         Federico

Xabriel J. Collazo Mojica (he/him, pronunciation
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Xabriel_Collazo_Mojica_-_pronunciation.ogg>
)
Sr Software Engineer
Wikimedia Foundation