On Wed, Nov  5, 2008 at 11:26:21 +0100, Peter Breitenlohner wrote:

> this very same problem occurs in many (most?) modules. If you'd apply them I
> could prepare patches for that (against current git).
>
> There are, however, two or three related problems that maybe should be
> addressed at the same time.
>
> (1) In order to further ansification, IMHO all modules should use the gcc
> warning flags. Paulo Cesar Pereira de Andrade has even suggested to enhance
> them with -Wdeclaration-after-statement, -Wold-style-definition,
> and -Wbad-function-cast, that could be done unconditionally or conditionally
> (via --enable-extra-warnings). I have prepared some patches for that, but
> they butcher CFLAGS and need to be revised.
>
> These additional warnings are extremely useful to find non-ansi declarations
> and related problems.

This should probably go somewhere in xorg-macros.m4, so we get a
consistent set of warnings for all modules.

> (2) You have applied a patch that avoids the need for AM_PROG_CC_C_O in some
> modules, but there are still plenty of modules needing that (and some others
> really do need AM_PROG_CC_C_O).

Is that much of a problem?  I removed it from some modules where it
wasn't needed, but I don't care much.

> (3) The ChangeLog hook has to be revised in practically every module:
>       (a) replace 'git-log' by 'git log' because git-log was deprecated
>       in git-1.5.x and removed from PATH in git-1.6.x
>       (b) "(GIT_DIR=....; rm -f .changelog.tmp)" will always succeed and
>       consequently the second part "(touch ChangeLog...)" never be
>       executed. IMHO the rule should read
>       "(GIT_DIR=....) || (rm -f .changelog.tmp; touch ChangeLog...)"

ugh.  :(

> I could go through the modules, prepare patches for these three issues, and
> send them to you, provided you'd agree to apply them.  If so, please also
> let me know your opinion about the additional warnings (never, conditional,
> or unconditional).

I can't promise to apply them quickly, but I'll try, time permitting.
Probably need to get some agreement on which warning flags to enable on
the list first, though.

Cheers,
Julien