Looking for some thoughts here. One of the items on the roadmap for
4.0 is moving scripts that currently live in policy/ over into Zeek
packages. The goals here are to (1) facilitate maintaining & testing
them independently of Zeek releases; and (2) come to a more flexible
notion of "default scripts" that can incorporate community-maintained
packages as well. This is tracked by issue
https://github.com/zeek/zeek/issues/414, including a 1st pass over the
existing policy scripts to understand what should/can be moved.
(Thanks, Vlad!)

Before we can begin working on this, we need to figure out how to
organize this new world. One particular question is where the moved
packages will live. I see the following options so far:

    1. Move each into a a separate repository on the zeek/ GitHub
       account.

    2. Similar, but to avoid cluttering zeek/, create a new GitHub
       organization "zeek-packages".

    3. Put them all into a single mono-repository (e.g.,
       zeek/standard-packages), i.e., treat them a one package.

    4. Do (1) or (2), and additionally create "zeek-standard-packages"
       that's full of submodules pointing to them (and also to
       community packages).

    5. Do (1) or (2), and teach zkg to understand "collections" of
       packages that can be installed/managed as a group, defined
       through some meta data somewhere.

Along with all of this comes a question of how to make it easy for
people to install a set of default packages now that these won't come
with Zeek itself anymore. Some of the schemes above make that easier
than others.

Thoughts/opinions/more ideas?

Robin

--