Give the sea change

By Eunice de Souza in Mumbai Mirror, 29 November
http://www.mumbaimirror.com/nmirror/mmpaper.asp?sectid=14&articleid=1128200522395256211282005223634390

After a stint in the US, poet Jeet Thayil decides to settle in Delhi

Bombay-based poet, and one-time Literary Editor of the magazine
Gentleman, Jeet Thayil has decided to settle in Delhi. He's just
completed work on an anthology of Indian poets writing in English in
different parts of the world, Fiji, Hong Kong, Australia, the US, the
UK and India. "It's a simple idea," Jeet says, "but for some reason it
hadn't been done before. The anthology, titled Give the Sea Change and
It Shall Change: Fifty-six Indian Poets 1952-2005, runs into 300
pages, and includes very good, very young Indian-American poets and
most of the obvious older names." He is also editing an issue of The
Journal of Post-Colonial Writing. "The theme is that 'diaspora' which
has become an industry in some parts of the world-may be an obsolete
concept in an age of frequent air travel."

Jeet returned some time ago from New York where he was reading for an
MFA at Sarah Lawrence College. Asked why he wanted to do an academic
study of American poetry  when he was already so widely read in it, he
said, "I wanted to study American poetry in a formal way because I
read a lot of it, over three decades, in a very informal way. The
thing I valued most about the course was that for two years my work
was to think, talk, write poetry. That kind of immersion does
something to you that doesn't happen otherwise. I improved
tremendously as a writer because of that experience and I continue to.
As much as anything, it was hanging out with poets that made a
difference to me. A teacher and friend, Tom Lux told me about Bill
Knott, whose life should be a lesson to everyone. Until last year,
Knott was publishing his own work, and he used to include the
rejection letters he'd received from editors, as blurbs in his books.
Or Jack Gilbert, a great poet who is still virtually unknown, whose
readings are rare, precious events. Or my friend, the poet and editor
Philip Nikolayev, whose magazine Fulcrum is probably the best poetry
magazine currently available in the US."

"I learnt also by doing readings in public very often, and from
performing poems with a band called Bombay Down, named after an
imaginary train. I read all over the place, with and without the band,
at literary venues and night-clubs, at bars, at festivals. Performing
hones you, it makes you think calmly, like a professional, and why
shouldn't poets be as professional about their craft as, say,
musicians or brain surgeons? Living in Manhattan gives you access to a
poetry culture that is unimaginable elsewhere — in a good month in New
York City, you can see, and meet, more good poets that you would in a
year in other parts of the world."

"After the degree at Sarah Lawrence, I took up a job with an Indian
newspaper in Manhattan, and became one of an army of
writers/actors/musicians in the city who worked a day job to fund the
real job.  Except, of course, that eventually it's the day job that
defines you, and I got tired of defining myself as a journalist. So
I'm back in India. I don't have a job, but I've done more writing in
the last year than I did in the last five years."

"Yes, of course, people all over have to work to live, but in the US
work becomes pre-eminent. Health insurance, filing taxes, paying bills
are so momentous, so consequential that it takes all your time and
energy. Life in India is more relaxed. It's possible to live here
without selling yourself too much."

* Eunice de Souza, who has introduced many to the delights of the
English language, writes on books, reading and writing

* In a good month in New York City, you can see, and meet, more good
poets that you would in a year in other parts of the world

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/yqIolB/TM

---theZESTcommunity--------------

---
Yahoo! Groups Links