Not sure if this will make it to the list, but I'll try...

On 11/13/12, Peter Tribble
 wrote:
> Given storage provisioned off a SAN (I know, but sometimes that's
> what you have to work with), what's the best way to expand a pool?
>
> Specifically, I can either grow existing LUNs, a]or add new LUNs.
>
> As an example, If I have 24x 2TB LUNs, and wish to double the
> size of the pool, is it better to add 24 additional 2TB LUNs, or
> get each of the existing LUNs expanded to 4TB each?

The thing I've found about growing the LUN is to evaluate if it saves you time
and effort in your setup to make it work. So, first I figure out if it's
possible. Then I figure out how big a PITA it is compared to the PITA of
allocating new LUNs. For example I've got one SAN backend here where it's easy
as pie (lun resize blah and then OS steps) and another backend where it
requires a major undertaking (create temporary horcm files, destroy mirrors,
run special command to resize mirror, wait, run special command to resize
source, wait, recreate mirrors, delete temporary horcms, etc etc and *then* the
OS steps).

What I love about ZFS is that it can handle either approach.

So it depends on your setup. In your case if it's at all painful to grow the
LUNs, what I'd probably do is allocate new 4TB LUNs - and replace your 2TB LUNs
with them one at a time with zpool replace, and wait for the resliver to finish
each time. With autoexpansion on, you should get the additional capacity as
soon as the resliver for each one is done, and the old 2TB LUNs should be
reclaimable as soon as it's reslivered out.

That being said, I'm not aware of what any deeper implications of doing that
are - from what Karl said about balancing the data out as one example.

Cheers,

Brian

> --
> -Peter Tribble
> http://www.petertribble.co.uk/ - http://ptribble.blogspot.com/

Brian Wilson, Solaris SE, UW-Madison DoIT

Room 3114 CS&S 608-263-8047

brian.wilson(a)doit.wisc.edu

'I try to save a life a day. Usually it's my own.' - John Crichton