Yes, it helps to know about musical structure before embarking on mixing -
how otherwise can one distinguish beats, bars and sections?

- wut? you actually just need to be able to count.

 Although I
haven't produced for a long time, I do gladly DJ. My original training is
classical (piano, various recorders) and some jazz (saxophone, piano), plus
some serious muso record listening, which means sitting around with your
mates and  picking your favourite music apart into its minute details, such
as structures, sound textures and vocals/solos (never mind where the
samples come from....) And that helps enormously in developing one's DJ
skills, from researching and shopping, to programming and the technical
aspects of mixing.

Hillegonda.