> Question: What are the legal rules guarding the practice of
> sampling?  Is it at all based on the length of the sample used?  I'm just
> curious, for I have
> a good idea for my first techno track (though its realization will
> undoubtedly take place somewhere far in the future), and the piece's
> essential characteristic is a certain soundbite from a certain
> celebrity.

These days you can get sued for sampling just about anything. Music is
totally copyright, no matter how much you take. James Brown has a staff
scouring for samples of his work, and he's made much more from being sampled
than he did from his own releases (or so I hear).
Speech is less likely to get you in trouble but not necessarily free to
sample. Certain recordings are copyright. Anything on TV, film, CD,
basically anything that has been published. I remember ORB got in trouble
for using the interview in "Little Fluffy Clouds".....some country singer I
think. There is a pretty in depth article in the archives of Sound on Sound
magazine http://www.sospubs.co.uk you need to do a search as there's no
exact url within the site.