(sorry if this is a repost, but I don't think the last one went through...)

------

I am completely suspicious of this United Devices outfit.  They have
a very spiffy and well-laid-out web site that manages to disclose
exactly nothing about the work they are doing, the revenue from which
they then donate a small portion to Make-a-Wish or whoever.

We don't know if they are factoring primes, running engineering models
for oil exploration, working on biotech genome coding or processing
law enforcement records.  Their privacy page states all kinds of wonderful
things about how they won't snoop on your system, but of course their code
is closed source and we can't audit it.  I don't particularly like the
notion that my PC could be used to do the math for the next super-secret
high tech weapon or the next miracle drug cure, and I won't know for sure
what it is in any event and whether the next project won't maybe have a
local system monitoring function built in.  Or when the next skr1pt hax0r
figures out how to hijack this stuff and use it for distributed attacks.

The company has $13 million in venture money from Softbank and has hooked
up with Intel and Exodus.  This Make-a-Wish tie-in is very nice but what
they are really doing is sugar-coating a method of buying processor
cycles for nearly free.  If they really did this right, they would post a
price and make you a deal and make it conditional on source code review
and opt-in based on the type of work being done.  In other words, a real
commercial proposition.  And that ain't happening.

I just think this is another gasp out of the now-dead dot.com IPO era.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] is a great proof of the distributed processing concept, but
that was an entirely non-commercial venture with full source code
available.  These people are just riding on the SETI project's reputation
for commercial gain.  The CEO is a corporate drone whose background
is Dell, Intel and Microsoft.  The chief scientist is the top guy from
[EMAIL PROTECTED] and a Berkeley professor.  The new marketing director is one
of the losers who destroyed Deja.com, leaving the wreckage to be picked
up by Google.  I am sure they are dynamic, driven, well-meaning people,
but they are running a commercial concern and their VCs want them to
perform.

http://www.ud.com/about/press/press_releases/11272000_1.htm
http://www.ud.com/about/press/press_releases/03122001.htm
http://www.ud.com/about/management.htm

I'm all for aiding the fight against cancer or whatever but it seems
to me there is a better way than becoming a volunteer for a corporation
making money off the effort.