I'm the somebody:

hopefully the encoding for this doesn't get messed up.  If it does, i'll
re-edit it.

and not really feeling argumentative, if you don't agree that's fine with
me:

http://www.bobmarley.com/life/musicalinfluences/punkyreggae/

Well, Bob was influenced by punk at least.

and the show the brought the connection to light for me on pbs:

"The Ramones, Patti Smith, Talking Heads and Blondie light a fuse in America
that explodes in London with the cynical inner-city punk spirit of the Sex
Pistols and The Clash. Sharing a sense of alienation and rebellion, they
champion the Bob Marley-led reggae movement. " -
http://www.pbs.org/cgi-registry/whatson/template.cgir?s=WVIZ&t=2&p=1490&c=d&;
d=2001-08-13

"Punk explores two late `70s musical innovations that shaped rock and roll
through the next decade: punk and reggae. In New York, members of Blondie,
Talking Heads, Television, and the Ramones tell how they inadvertently
created the cynical, urban, stripped-down sound that became punk rock. In
London, punk takes off with the Sex Pistols, and members of the Wailers and
the Clash recall how Jamaican reggae, another musical form of rebellion,
crossed international boundaries, deeply influencing punk and pop rock. "
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/rocknroll/rnrtv.html

"By combining a punk attitude with the rhythms of reggae - a musical import
from Jamaica popularized by Bob Marley - bands like the Police, the
Pretenders and Elvis Costello and the Attractions created a hybrid that
proved both infectious and commercially acceptable in a way that hardcore
punk was not."
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/rocknroll/rnrpunk.html

"The Sex Pistols had broken up the previous year and the Clash were
considered the standard bearers of Punk. The concerts were the scathing
attacks of fury that had earned the group its reputation as a high energy
concert draw. The band returned to the UK after the tour to begin writing
for their new album to be produced by Guy Stevens who had produced the
Clash's demos for Polygram in 1977. So much material had been recorded that
the album was set to be a double. ("Time is Tight" a Booker T cover the band
had been playing since 1977 was recorded for the LP but was not included).
The title song was released in advance of the album (the album's working
title was the New Testament) with the flip side "Armagideon Time". That song
hadbeen a reggae hit for Jamaican singer Wille Williams in 1978, but the
Clash's version was so far superior to the original it has since become to
be associated with the band as their song. "
http://members.aol.com/secretsun3/history.html

Roxane by the police came out in 1978, well before the 1988 date you cite.
Then there's always "regatta de blanc" in 1979,  "walking on the moon."

I guess it really does all come down to one's definition of punk after
all........but I think there is enough evidence of cross-polination.

and no, I am not iggy pop.

jim

http://www.assasins.ner

> Somebody wrote:
> Well, Back in the day Detroit had a largish punk scene. One of punks
primary
> influences was Jamaican reggae & dubb.  Just had to bring it all back full
> circle.
>
> Do you have any evidence of this? Can you support this claim?  Are you
Iggy