From: "Brendan Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "fabrice Lig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2002 5:34 AM
Subject: RE: (313) Los hermanos/trancey/Detroit techno...

That's definitely true - I can't remember if it was Eddie Fowlkes or
Kevin Saunderson who said "the hardness in techno comes from funk", but
I've always seen funk as the main differentiator between Detroit techno
and the trance sound.

What makes trance unfunky? I think that a large amount of it comes down
to the drum programming. Trance producers, I can imagine, must glue over
the "shuffle" button on their drum machines so that it can never be
turned on. Also, you can imagine that if a trance producer does anything
with the hi-hats other than "open hi-hat between each kick drum, closed
hi-hat on the beat", he/she would get arrested by the Trance Police for
heresy!

But even when Detroit records use those most basic of drum patterns,
there is still a funk there that you don't find in trance. Why?

Brendan