I think all DJs educate their audience - either "how to" or "how not to"

I think I've actually learned more from those "how not to" DJs because I've
been too involved in the moment to think when a "how to" DJ is playing

but I agree looped techno all night *without* any reward or what I call
"the breakout" toward the end is boring and pointless
I recall Maarten saying that he left after the first hour of seeing Derrick
May because it was all looped techno bangers - but then he missed the nice
stuff toward the end of that particular set

I recall that Derrick, at the Movement party, took off from the hard looped
techno that Francois K was playing - extended the series of loops for a bit
longer but then dropped some of the best melodies and house tracks at the
end for those still dancing

MEK

                      "Chris Anglesey"

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "Cyclone Wehner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      lworld.com>               cc:       <313@hyperreal.org>

                                                Subject:  Re: (313) Derrick May

                      12/04/03 11:32 AM

I see where you're coming from but I also think the d.j (whoever it is) has
a certain duty to educate their audience.  IMHO I don't think Derrick May
does this (that often) anymore.  Why, I don't know - but I know a lot of
people who say the same thing.  I wouldn't say that i'm 'deconstructing
things to a minute detail', i'm merely commenting on Derrick Mays' DJ'ing
from MY perspective which I think is my given right as a punter.  If other
people disagree, then that's fine - that's their right also.  Maybe i'm
just
too
old & out of touch with the dance/club scene but I find listening to looped
techno all night a bit boring .

Chris.