On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Kent williams wrote:

> I didn't mean to dog anyone in the discussion for being white and daring to
> discuss the issue, if that's the impression I gave.
>
> I just think there's a discussion to be had, placing misogyny in hip hop
> lyrics in the context of the unique problems facing black americans -- too
> many men in jail, too many women raising kids alone, negative images
> reflected back from the dominant culture, etc, etc.  But such a discussion
> is probably better left to people who know those things first hand.

I understand what you're saying Kent....and to a certain extent I agree.

BUT the extreme is "keeping it real" right?  In order to talk about X you
have to be able to experience X.  I don't think I should have to take meth
to say meth has bad consequences.

When I think about these issues this is what I try to keep in mind.

*As African Americans live in the American context, it is important that
we keep in mind the impact that larger processes that impact ALL Americans
influence them.

So here we're talking about the commodification of women largely for the
purpose of profit that has the added "benefit" of keeping women
subjugated.  This dynamic isn't unique to African Americans, but is part
and parcel of the larger American culture.  Take a look at a Victoria
Secret ad that 25 years ago could've never made it to the screen.

*While popular music is considered to be the raw undiluted voice of the
young (and in hip-hop's case the black young), popular music is SOLD AND
MARKETED.

Chuck D. said that rap is black America's CNN.  He's both right and wrong.
Rap is not news.  It is entertainment.  Rap isn't an undiluted image of
what is "really going on" in black communities whether they be working
class, or blueblood.  But in as much as CNN's news is itself highly
packaged and marketed, rap too has been niched in order to sell product.

I'm working on a book about youth and politics in American cities, and I'm
including a substantive section on pop culture (hiphop).  Thinking about
this in depth I'm realizing that it just isn't possible to refer to hiphop
as an artform without taking the political economy of it into
consideration.

There is a REASON why my students know that 50 Cent has been shot nine
times.  And it has nothing to do with truth telling.

*While African Americans are indeed Americans, they also serve as
America's Other.

In the past, miners used canaries as an early warning system.  The gases
the miners had the most to fear were both odorless and invisible.  The
only way they would know whether the gas was present was by the behavior
of the canary.  When the canary keeled over...the miners broke camp.

Black people (and other "people of color") serve as America's canary.
The fault lines in the American project usually become most visible in
these communities.  But rather than taking the troubles of black people
and using them to predict, contain, and cure problems of the wider
community, a very different route is taken.  These troubles are used to
sell "black" product for the culture mill, and at the same time are used
to further justify black exclusion.

Just trying to keep these three ideas (blacks are american, blacks are the
other, pop music is an economic product) in my head simultaneously is a
difficult feat.  but suffice it to say that because of these dynamics I'm
willing to bet that the following assertions hold true about misogyny in
hiphop:

1.  Misogyny in hip-hop is a hyperextension rather than an accurate
reflection of misogyny in black life.

2.  Misogyny in hip-hop may be more pervasive than misogyny in
rock...depending on how we are measuring it.

3.  The social ills impacting black men in America are beginning to impact
their white counterparts.  So in as much as #2 holds true, I don't expect
it to hold true for long.

peace
lks

p.s.  I apologize for the length of this post.  I'm trying to get into
work mode.  Got a lot of work to do on this late saturday evening.

p.p.s.  I blog about these and other related issues at Visioncircle.org
and given the length of this post I'll probably put it there.