Maarten, you've just devastated a bit of musical history with a few well
armed words!!! ;-)

It is a matter of opinion though as I think you accept.

Remember also, you need to listen to such things under the right conditions
(ahem), and the right environment. Due to production values of tracks at
that time, the music really did and does still,  require a lot of
amplification in order to convey the authentic feel of the music.