Also, any one want to cite some examples of this recent wave of boring
polished melodic techno that people are saying is not gritty enough? Are you
all still talking about Vince Watson or just general trends in production?

Can't speak for the others, but I'm talking about a general trend rather than any specific artists. If you compare current releases with those of say 10 years ago, they have in general become far smoother, cleaner and, in a way, colder. I rarely hear new material with the depth and warmth of B12, Stasis, GPR etc, or the raw grit of older UR and Planet E tracks.

I think this comes down to the increasing use of software that allows a 'perfect' sound to be created, and also a stylistic trend (mirroring the development of other sounds such as minimal house and techno where this clean feel has been an integral part of the style).

It's a very subjective thing, a lot of people seem to feel that striving for the so-called perfect production is an essential development, but personally I'm far more into a sound that gives more rawness, warmth and depth than one which is ultra crisp and clean.