Berns said that going from raves to clubs became boring.  That because you
don't have a decorator "on staff" (?) and you're not "industry", you're
independent, you can't decorate the club differently each time?
Sorry, that's bulls*t and shows how unimaginative he is.
The guys I've been working with have never done a "rave" - frankly we all
hate them and what they've done to our local dance music community (bred a
bunch of candyravers who think that "disco" is "gay music").  The majority
of our events have been in the same club space - a tiny little box.  Yet we
manage to make that box look and feel different for every single event.  It
doesn't cost us much either.  The one guy who is most responsible for
getting the decor and theme... I'm constantly amazed at how he manages to
pull it together and for how little.  It's total DIY - no lasers and
spinning lights (except for those he makes!).

All the problems he's talked about that came later - people not controlling
their drug consumption, fights, knives/guns (!), etc.  I've never seen that
happen at our parties.
I think it's a result of what your model/inspiration is for your party.
Raves always seem to spiral toward chaos which eventually drags the whole
thing down.

MEK