i like tom's post a lot. i'm not

my opinion is...the more music you listen to and experience in your
life, the less you can expect it to dazzle you the way it did when you
were younger. it has nothing to do with current trends. even if it's
the craziest chit you ever heard, it still won't hit you the way it
would have at a different time and place, at a different age. you
either have to reconsider what you appreciate and look for in music,
and how you appreciate it as you get older, or fall out of love with
music.

also i find this whole attitude a little paradoxical, and the reason
you are going to be unsatisfied. there is music out there that you
haven't heard that will knock your socks off if you seek it out. it's
not going to fall in your lap, you can't sit around waiting for it. it
certainly doesn't have to be "new" either. i find the whole attitude a
little wrong-headed, no offense..we all go through those phases...i
know guys twice our age who still freak out over music, more than i do
these days...it gives me a lot of hope, and really drives home that
enjoying music is about much more than getting a fix on something that
sounds new & fresh etc..