Well ... to my knowledge some of the PA setups that we were using in the
early 90's had never been done before.

Maybe they don't do it where you guys are. But here rave systems are setup so that all the speakers face towards the centre. The sound surround the
dance floor and envelopes the audience from all sides.

No other event that uses amplified sound for music will do this usually.

Have a read of Tim Lawrence's Love Saves the Day and read about some of the disco sound systems of the 70s.

However, I take your point that maybe with "raves" this kind of setup became more widespead and that the sound system (the whole setup not just the equipment) is more important than people give it credit.

----

Here in Manchester (UK) no-one takes the sound seriously and I'm slightly disillusioned about going to parties as a result. A lot of the DJs are lazy too which does help either (but that's a whole other rant). I have even DJ'd for people and instead of getting paid actually paid to have the soundsystem beefed up. It's a shame no-one else seems that bothered.

The music I love means nothing without a decent system.

robin...