*Coverflow*

-----Original Message-----
From: Odeluga, Ken [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 02 January 2008 14:19
To: robin; Benoît Pueyo
Cc: list 313
Subject: RE: (313) Digital Djing

>As a side note. I wouldn't expect this to come from the Ableton folk.
They seem to have gone down the DAW route a lot recently rather than
concentrating on performance.

robin...

A side note of a side note: it looks like it doesn't it Robin? Still, a friend
of mine showed me a recent (maybe the latest? Not sure) build of Ableton
yesterday and even though yes, Ableton now does everything that the average DAW
does and perhaps more, it is still much more performance orientated than most
DAWs - Digital Performer strikes me as another performance-orientated DAW
although I have to say I don't know anyone who uses it and don't know anyone
who knows anyone who uses it either! I use Cubase at the moment and from what I
can see, Ableton is definitely more helpful for 'playing out' (hardware or
software or audio) than Cubase will ever be in its current form.

More in focus re. 'overflow' doesn't it just (a bit like the automatic
tracklisting function) consult CDDB? It retains data about missing covers per
user and updates periodically. This technology doesn't sound very proprietory -
my guess is other software could incorporate it. Perhaps Scratch Live is more
likely to do it first though as that already has browsing functionality ... I'm
going into outer-geek-space now ....