I'll let the real new yorkers comment on smaller, more specialized
shops, but I always enjoy a visit to Other Music:
http://www.othermusic.com/ -- some people think it's pretentious, some
people are put off by the standoffish mooks who work there.  But they
do a great job of covering all of my musical interests -- electronic,
interesting rock, jazz, experimentalists of all genres.  I never get
away from there without spending more than I can afford, and I have
several world-class record stores in my little burg.