I'll throw out a few venues for music-related interests.  I'm not cool
enough to know what's going on anymore but I used to spend time at the
following places. Each of the venues can run a wide spectrum from
really good techno on one hand to James Zabiela on the other, so you
should check to see who is playing before wasting a night out  : )

As I don't know either  of your preferences I'll just throw out a
shotgun approach.

LavaLounge - recently moved to a new location. The old place was a
great venue that wasn't afraid to book hard acid, etc. Haven't checked
the new venue yet, although I hear they have a pretty fun Drum & Bass
weekly.

Tini Martini - used to have a nice thursday Techno night, haven't been
there since T1000 was there about a year ago though.

Empty Bottle - Small venue that books great acts, Isolee, Dabrye (Tadd
Mullinix), things like that

Smart Bar - club in Wrigleyville, I live a few blocks away.  Green
Velvet will be there on the 16th, along with the techno buyer from the
local vinyl shop (Josh Werner).  They bring good acts (Rhythm and
Sound, etc), but also book a lot of crap. Buyer beware.

Sound Bar - Usually way too clubby. Richie, etc usually play here.

Spy Bar - Also super clubby, but occasional good stuff.  Caught a good
Kill Memory Crash set there a while back, that sort of thing.

Neo - The goth/industrial club in town, ranges from straight up
industrial to brit-pop nights

Delilah's - Psychobilly music on the last wednesday of the month.

Holiday Club - great bar  that has a pretty fun new wave/brit pop
night every weekend.  Little too heavy on the chart toppers, but I got
them to play some Big Audio Dynamite so they can't be too bad, heh.

Gold Star -  little hole in the wall bar in wicker park, good stuff,
free pool table in the back. [beware of hipsters]

Inner Town Pub - another gem in ukranian village, one of my favorite spots

Rainbow Room - not bad when it's not crowded [beware of hipsters]

L & L - I frequent this the most lately, one of the only bars worth
going to in Wrigleyville/Lakeview that isn't full of frat guys

Gingerman Tavern - right next door to Smart Bar, good place to go before a show

That's all I can think of for right now.  As for chicago proper, go
rent a bike, cruise over to the lakefront, and spend a few hours
biking up and down the 20 or 30 miles of lakeside parks.  Best thing
you can do in the city.

It's also a big city, so a lot of this depends on where you are
staying and what your patience is for public transportation.

-Arturo