I do it as an affectation, or an attempt to respond to a Sheffieldian in kind?

But I heard it first from my grandmother. My great-grandfather was a
child miner in Wales, and my grandmother would occasionally drop an
'innit' if she was tired or distracted.  Normally she thought it
ungrammatical and rather low-class.