I have built a few document management systems. One thing you need to be
careful of is how many files are in a particular folder. What I did at oine
client is create a structure for folders as follows: Client ID was a long
int. Client id 101123 for example would have the following structure. I
qwould also create a path to each document in a record about that document.

101/1011/101123/documents themselves. That way at each level of directory
structure you can never have more than 999 folders. Each folder would then
have all documents

Client ID 101124 would be
101/1011/101124/documents themselves

for one customer the original system put all images in one directory and it
had over 500,000 documents in it. I chopse this megthod so that web site
could calculate folder structiure and not have to do look ups for every
document

Hope this helps

Regards
Chuck

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:39 PM, Kenneth Geiger via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m beginning to work on a new project (4D v16 on Windows) for a client
> that handles a LOT of physical documents for their clients. They’ve got a
> huge storage issue and when they need to refer to a document, they spend
> huge amounts of time searching the physical files.
>
> I’ve not started prototyping anything yet but I think I’ve got a viable
> approach. The server will have a shared directory with a sub-directory for
> each of their clients. There will be a dialog where the user enters
> information about the document, including a text box where they can enter a
> brief description of the document. The user would then drag-and-drop a scan
> of the document onto the description text box and an “on drop” event would
> trigger a document capture method. This method will have to rename the
> document (the file-name will be created automatically within 4D without
> changing the extension), check that the relevant sub-directory exists on
> the server (and create it if it does not), and then save the renamed file
> to the server.
>
> If any of you have done something similar, I would really appreciate any
> feedback on my approach and would welcome any suggestions, pseudo-code, or
> code that you would be willing to share.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Ken Geiger
> Dolores, CO
> kgeiger....@gmail.com

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
          http://www.informed-solutions.com
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.