Yatch,

Good point, indeed. The cell draft-minimal uses is indeed used for two
things: EBs and other frames. The question can we reformulate as "if we set
it to ADVERTISING, are we allowed to send non-EB frames on it" and "if we
set it to NORMAL, are we allowed to send EB frames on it".

>From the excerpts you cite, it looks like ADVERTISING makes more sense. Of
course, we are heavily in IEEE territory with this question, so we, as
6TiSCH, cannot really answer. @Pat, could you circulate this point in the
IEEE 6T IG so we can get an official recommendation on the matter from the
IEEE.

If the decision is to set the cell to "ADVERTISING", I will add an issue
and ask  the authors of draft-minimal to make the change.

Thomas

On Fri, Nov 18, 2016 at 12:59 AM, Yasuyuki Tanaka <
yasuyuki9.tan...@toshiba.co.jp> wrote:

> Thank you for your comment, Pat!
>
> I noticed your message wasn't on the ML; I paste it here.
>
> On 2016/11/17 16:40, pat.kin...@kinneyconsultingllc.com wrote:
>

>> Yasuyuki brings up a very good point.  A major effort in creating
>> 802.15.4-2015 was to eliminate (at least try to) ambiguities.  As
>> per the IEEE style guide: "The word may is used to indicate a course
>> of action permissible within the limits of the standard (may equals
>> is permitted to ).”  The LinkType wording was modified to clarify
>> when to use normal and when to use advertisement.  As per Yasuyuki
>> Table 8-46 does state that "Set to ADVERTISING if the link is to be
>> used to advertise the network, otherwise set to NORMAL.”  I should
>> note that the text in that sub-clause adds " If LinkType is set to
>> ADVERTISE, the links may be used to send Enhanced Beacon frames as
>> the result of the MAC receiving a MLME-BEACON.request.”  The intent
>> of 802.15.4-2015 was not meant to change the meaning of LinkType,
>> rather it was meant to clarify.
>>
>> So, Yasuyuki’s question is indeed valid, should the minimal
>> configuration set the LinkType set to Advertising?
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> Pat Kinney
>> Kinney Consulting LLC
>> IEEE 802.15 WG vice chair, SC chair