----- Original Message -----
From: AMIT BHATT
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 8:13 AM
Subject: [SayEverything] chess tournament for the blind, story...

Monday, July 16, 2007 (18:33:23)

Chess tournament for visually impaired

New Delhi: Imagine playing Chess with your eyes closed. Remember, it
requires of tactic and proper strategy. Around hundred visually challenged
people will
be participating in a two-day Chess tournament at Sarvodaya Bal Vidyalaya,
Gulabibagh in North Delhi. The Indian Association of the Blind will organise
an open tournament on August 11-12 , 2007. A special chessboard with small
cavities to hold the pawns, king, queen, knight, rook and bishops is being
designed
to be used in the tournament. Each player will be allowed to play seven
rounds and each round will not be less than two hours.

Speaking to Headlinesindia, SK Sisodia, General Secretary, Indian
Association of the Blind said, "We are organizing the tournament to
encourage the game
among visually challenged people. For monitoring the tournament, we have
appointed three judges, out of which two judges are visually challenged." "I
am
playing Chess since I was in standard eight. The work of eyes is done by
hands. I have participated in many tournaments at state level. However, I
have
not been able to win in any tournament. I am excited and I have kept my
fingers crossed for the tournament." said C Lingappa, a visually challenged
Chess
player.

"K N Sharma, chairperson of Sanskritic Wing said, "There is no age bar for
participating in the tournament. Anyone, between five to fifty years of age
will
be eligible to participate in the tournament." "The prize money will not be
less than Rs 1000. Besides that three special prizes for the children below
fourteen years of age will be awarded. Certificates and momentous will be
distributed to the players on the occasion of Swami Vivekananda's birthday
on
January 12, 2008," Sharma said.
Source: http://headlinesindia.com/sports/index.jsp?news_code=48443
Thanks,

Amit Bhatt

__._,_.___

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional
  a..  1New Members
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups