Special Note:

Dear friends, this is a short description of my struggles for the past 30
years. But when compared with other great Visually-challenged achievers, my
struggles are nothing. I hope that it will be helpful to the persons who
didn't realize their hidden skills and talents. If this document helps or
motivates someone means, I will be glad for sharing ; otherwise excuse me
for wasting your valuable time with this lengthy document. First I thank my
parents, teachers, social workers and innumerable friends for helping me to
reach this level. Please feel free to contact me with your comments,
suggestions and new ideas through below mentioned mobile or Email address. I
am very pleased to receive them and ready to learn new things and improve
myself.

Brief description about myself:

I am Saravanan Ramadoss. I was born on 11 May 1978 in a low-middle class
family group. My father is a laberor, mother and a younger brother, all are
sighted. Even I too had vision until nine years. Then due to (RD - retinal
detachment), due to unsuccessful operation from government hospital I lost
my eyesight slowly. My parents took me to various eye hospitals, but no use.
At that time my parents didn't know about the special schools and other
facilities for the visually impaired. So I spent some years at home, but I
have strong faith in God. As a result of that faith, most of the time I got
the maximum benefits beyond my level. Then my parents came to know about
(LFC - Little Flower Conment, Chennai. They took me there, I got admission
for fourth standard. I learned Braille, mobility and many things there. I
finnishe my primary education. After that, they guided me to St. Louis
Institute for the deaf and the blind, Chennai.

I spent almost 7 years in St. Louis institute starting from sixth to twelfth
standard. I got little progress in my education. I was very good in maths,
remaining subjects Tamil, social science and science were also okay, but
very weak in English. In both the schools my medium of education was Tamil.
So I really had to work very hard to improve my English. I didn't realize
the importance and show much interest in co-curricular activities like
Music, sports etc. When I reached ninth, I got some confidence in my English
proficiency. It was then, I started learning chess and type writing. I
participated in Chess and GK quiz competitions in and around Chennai, and
won some prizes.

In both the schools, we got all the fecilities like Braille notes,
Audiocassettes with tape recorders, and readers during week ends within the
campus. In my SSLC (1995), I got 85% with 98 out of 100 marks in maths, also
school first. But I didn't expect that at all; really it was a miracle of
God. I thought that I have to do a different course considering my highest
mark in maths. But my parents didn't allow me to take such risk. They were
very protective. Our family income was meager and they didn't have proper
education to gide or shape my future.

I was the first person to reach SSLC level with the top class marks from my
family. I had to take a good decision to shape my future. So I discussed
with my school teachers, they advised me to take (HEAP - history, economics,
Advanced English and political science). I took that course with their
guidance and got 73% in HSLC (1997. During that summer vacation, for the
first time I got a chance to play Chess in southern Zone level at Shimoha. I
was the only junior candidate in below 20 level, all my fellow players were
in their 30s and 40s, also regular attenders of various competitions. in
that category, I got 7th place in that tornament without proper training.

After that I struggled a lot to reach my current position as an English
teacher in Government School, Chennai. I applied for B.a English lit in top
3 colleges in Chennai. I got seat in 2 colleges, but nnot in hostel. So my
parents forced me to do some special technical courses ment for the visually
challenged. So I joined for stenno training at NIVH in Chennai. I dropped my
previous plan of regular degree, but I joined BA English Literature in
correspondence in Madras university. When I was in NIVH, I got a chance to
represent the institute in National Level Chess competition at Pune. There I
got 6/9 points without proper coaching. One side I finished stenno course
(1998) and searching a good job. On the other side I cleared first year
papers of B.a degree. In distant mode of education, I had to manage
everything (recording cassettes, arranging scribes and other things) on my
own.

As you are all aware, our life depends upon the scribes support. Sometimes a
brilliant candidate scores less marks due to poor performance of the scribe,
but on the other hand a weaker candidate gets top-class marks. All depends
upon the candidate's luck. In second year exams, I failed in 1 paper because
of my bad luck. I tried again and cleared that paper in October 1999. This
bitter experience repeated even in my third year papers too, but I didn't
loose heart, tried again and finally cleared in April 2001.

It was at that point

of time, NIVH launched new training project (MT - medical transcription for
VH) for only 6 outstanding candidates. Luckily I got place in that training
and I put 200% effort to get better placement after training. There I
learned medical terms, drugs and basic computer skills. NIVH tried their
best to get placement in Chennai, they got only one. So they arranged
placement for the rest in Coimbatore of our interest.

There we received excellent support from the training staffs and colleagues.
I really improved my listening comprehension, good typing speed and
proficiency in English. In that place for 2 years, my learning was
excellent, but the earning was less. When I was in Coimbatore, we all five
VH met our ex-president Mr. Abdhul Kalam and had a group photograph. This
was the only memorable event in Coimbatore. After spending valuable 2 years,
we didn't feel any growth in our project from the management side.
Especially no increament in our salary. So I left the job, and told them
about my future plan of doing B.ed. They agreed and releaved me
whole-heartedly.

When I came out of job, here B.ed admission was over. So I had to postpone
my wish for (B.ed) for 1 more year and tried to finish (M.a Lit through
correspondence, which I started in 2001. Due to MT-job's pressure and
strain, I couldn't complete it. After returning from Coimbatore, I came to
know about Karnavidhya ( a special library and reders forum) functioning in
Adayar, Chennai. I spoke to Shyla madam and through her I got full support
for my recording of cassettes and arrangement of good scribes. In October
2003, I wrote 5 papers of M.a and cleared 4. In December 2003, I came to
know about Ability-foundation and its new (I-T) related project with the
guaranty of job placement in I-T field. Then I spoke to Jayashri Madam (the
founder of Ability-Foundation) joined there and updated my computer skills.
During the same time, I also prepared for 6 papers of M.a lit and wrote in
April 2004. With the blessings of god, I completed both (training and M.a).
simultaniously In that same year. I got B.ed with the help of entrance test
marks. In the same year through Ability-Foundation, I met Actress Revathi
Madam and spoke about Mt and its future for VH in their weekly radio program
(Thiramain Thisaiyl). In September, I also met Ex-governer Mr Ram mohan Rao
at Raj Bhavan to receive certificate for computer training and briefly
described about our computer Project in the auditorium. When my name was
selected for B.ed admission in Teacher's college, I got an offer of MT
placement in Bangalore through Enable-India. So again I was in confusion,
whether to choose B.ed or job? I consulted Mr A.K. Mithel Sir (RD of NIVH)
He advised me to choose B.ed. So I postponed that MT job and joined B.ed.

In that Bed college, I was the only person to join English regular Bed from
correspondence background. I completed (Bed) easily with the full support
from lecturers and friends. After Bed, I spoke over phone to Shanthi Madam
(Founder of Enable-India), she promised me for a sure placement of an MT in
Bangalore if I am interested.

After my Bed, I decided to go for an MT job, till I get teacher post from
the government. But things were not going smoothly in Bangalore, I had to
spend more than 10-11 hours in the office to compete with my other sighted
colleagues. After reaching room, I had to prepare for my (TRB exam for
teacher post in Tamil nadu. No doubt, the MT career is really challenging
job for visually-impaired. If our talents and potentialities are properly
recognized by our companies, we can shine in this field. Otherwise it's a
vain effort. Unluckily I got placement in those companies where I had
struggled for my basic needs.

With the blessings of god, I scored good marks in TRB exam and within a year
got placement as a teacher for High-school also near Chennai. Finally, I
left my MT job in May 2006 and started this new teaching career. To improve
and widen my English knowledge, I joined M.phil in English through
correspondence in Annamalai University 2006.

Though the teaching job does not require my technical and other skills, I am
doing this job as a true service with full satisfaction. I thank god for
giving me an opportunity to help the economically weaker sections to improve
their confidence level, English knowledge and other skills. With his
blessings I have just now finished M.phil in May 2008.

When I was in school, I was very reserve and shy by nature. But when I came
out I slowly transformed myself and communicating even with strange people.
I am always ready to learn new things from all and share my knowledge with
friends, colleagues, students and new persons. At the same time, I am more
time conscious; sometimes because of this I am forced to face some tough
situations from all sides. My hobby is to play chess, rread books, listen
music and to make new friends.

Please feel ffree to call me or email with suggestions, new ideas and
feedbacks; surely through your comments I will be more helpful and useful
for the society.

If you have any interesting/informative tips or articles, please
send/forward to:

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] / [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Phone no 044-26254318

MOBILE : 09840228250.

Skipe: speak-sarav

Waiting for your replies and comments.