To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 12:37 AM
Subject: [AI] Seek feedback on accessible ATM

Hello all

I certainly agree to this suggestion, we can deliberate it on the list so that there is a healthy discussions on the pros and cons on accessible design.

In my view accessible ATM's with respect to the blind is to have:
1 There should be keyboard navigation
2 There should be a provision to plug in our headphone.
3 The headphone jack should be of a standard size
4 The jack should be placed on a fixed place like top left
5 the user should also have a setting where in on inserting the headphone the screen should blank out or not. 6 After inserting the headphone should also announce if the screen is blanked out 7 There should be an SMS alert on any transaction done on ATM. This is now a day's available with almost all Banks.
8 The cash dispenser should be fixed on a fixed position
9 The doors to the ATM should have standard locking mechanism.
10 Bio metric should be preferred for authentication of user.
11 The bio metric sensor should be placed on a fixed position on the ATM
12 There should be a standard keyboard layout
13 List of All accessible ATM's should be published separately on the respective Bank's website.

Harish.