Identifying and non-identifying clauses
Posted By Manjusha in English Grammar

Some relative clauses identify or classify nouns: they tell us which person
or thing, or which kind of person or thing, is meant. These are called
identifying, defining or restrictive relative clauses.
Consider the example given below.
People who take physical exercise live longer.
Here the relative clause is who take physical exercise. This relative
clause is identifying, since it is required for identification: without it,
we would have only People live longer, which does not identify the people
under discussion.
Other examples are given below.
The restaurant which we visited last night was pretty good.
Paris is a city I have always wanted to visit.
She married a man that she met on a bus.
Identifying relative clauses usually follow immediately after the nouns
that they modify, without a break: they are not separated by commas in
writing. This is because the noun would be incomplete without the relative
clause, and the sentence would make no sense or have a different meaning.
A non-defining relative clause is not required for identification. It
serves only to provide additional information. Non-identifying clauses are
normally separated by commas.
Janet, who does my hair, has moved to another hairdresser’s.
Here the relative clause is who does my hair. This relative clause is
non-identifying, since it is not required to identify Janet: it merely
provides additional information.
Another example is given below.
She married a smart architect from Beijing, whom she met on a bus.
That
That is common as a relative pronoun in identifying clauses. It can refer
to things and in an informal style to people.
This is the boy that won the first prize. (OR … who won the first prize.)
Here is the man that I told you of. (OR … of whom I told you.)
In non-identifying clauses, that is unusual.
This is John, who won the first prize. (BUT NOT This is John, that won the
first prize.)
In identifying relative clauses, we often leave out object pronouns. In
non-identifying clauses this is not possible.
I still remember the men (whom) I knew in my youth. (identifying)
Be loyal to the friends (that) you have. (identifying)
I feel sorry for the man (whom) she married.
She went to work with my cousin, whom she later married. (NOT She went to
work with my cousin, she later married.)

Thanks.

With best regards,

Braille Section Team
Anna Centenary Library