On Wed 2015-05-13 19:36:51 -0400, Ted Hardie wrote:
> ​So, the point I'm getting at is that the system ought to provide
> an automated way to request revocation if the requester can meet
> the same bar as it would take to request or renew a certificate.  If 42
> is one of the ways to meet that bar, well and good.  If 42 is not one
> of the ways to meet the original bar, then putting effort to automating
> revocation on that basis seems off to me.

There is at least one scenario where automated revocation seems
legitimate but automated issuance does not: posession of the
end-entity's secret key.

That is: If i have the secret key, i *also* need to prove something else
(control of the domain) to get a certificate issued.  But if i have the
secret key to an already-issued certificate, i should not need to prove
control of the domain to get the certificate revoked.

If I compromise your secret key, the nicest possible thing i can do with
it is get it revoked.  There is no reason to prevent this action from
anyone who has access to the secret key.

I think i like Russ's first suggestion best:

>> ACME certificate management must, in an automated manner, allow an
>> authorized party to request revocation of a certificate.

because it lets the WG (and implementers/deployers) decide to include
types of authorization that might be relevant for revocation but not for
issuance, while still covering the general case.

        --dkg