I agree with Eliot, I don't think a scan is needed to make a decision
here.  Having managed several networks that would not have allowed you
access from some random scanner, I don't think you'll get all the data
you are looking for.  In a well managed network, the IDS/IPS should
detect that it is a scan and block all future probes once you hit a
small number of ports/IPs.  So you may get a small sample with
everything else failing within an address block.  Granted, not all
networks are managed well and you may get a good amount of data.

If this connection was expected to a few servers, then a network
manager might just allow those only on the assigned port.

Without any hat on, I agree that a port + 443 as an alternate is a good plan.

Kathleen

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Randy Bush <ra...@psg.com> wrote:
>> Isn't this precisely what .well-known was meant to address?
>
> fun small research project.  what percentage of well-known ports can
> you connect to from the outside to a machine inside cisco?  hell, to
> what percentage of well-known ports outside cisco can you reach from
> inside?
>
> well-known does not correlate well with open to access by IT security
> departments.
>
> randy

Best regards,
Kathleen