On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Hugo Landau <hlan...@devever.net> wrote:

> >    On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 11:57 AM, Salz, Rich <[1]rs...@akamai.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >      So let's see.  Can we live with this?
> >
> >      Create a spec-required registry for validation method names.
> >
> >    I share Hugo's concern about divergence here.  Should we maybe just
> put
> >    these in the ACME challenge types registry?  It is already
> Spec-Required.
> >    That would mean that not all of those values would be usable with
> ACME,
> >    but that doesn't seems very likely to lead to interop problems, since
> >    sensible ACME server wouldn't offer the non-ACME ones.  Or you could
> just
> >    add a column to indicate ACME / non-ACME.
> >    In any case, if we go down this path, I would suggest we change
> "non-acme"
> >    to "vendor", in order to signify "something that is not in the
> registry".
> In this case we may as well keep it called "acme-methods" and leave the
> extension of that namespace (ACME challenge method names) to non-ACME
> things to the future.

The future is now!  :)

https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme/pull/332

Even if we don't make the ACME change, if we think that some day there
might be non-ACME identifiers in this CAA field, then I would propose that
we use "validation-methods" instead of "acme-methods", for future-proofing.

--Richard