On 01/09/17 03:58, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Adam Roach <a...@nostrum.com> wrote:
>> On 8/31/17 19:25, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>>
>>> I really like the idea that the acme WG aims to figure out a way to enable
>>> people at home to use https with their home n/w routers.
>> There was some musing at the W3C TPAC in Lisbon last year on this topic. The
>> tricky part is figuring out what kind of model makes sense for the certs at
>> all. I suspect we'd need to come to some agreement on that issue before
>> trying to work out how ACME can be used to issue them. There's some
>> background reading at
>> <https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2016/session-https-local-summary>, mostly in
>> the form of slide decks.
>
> I don't see acme-ip being the solution here.  Everyone has - or could
> have - a 10.0.0.1.  The same applies to .local (see below).  The
> movement needs to come from the relying party side.
>
> Thanks for sharing the link Adam, I was not aware of this.  For the
> benefit of folks in the galleries, the three talks discuss two
> options.
>
> The first two talk about providing *real* names for the devices
> (<device-id>.<manufacturer>.com for example).  The nice thing with
> that is that that solution already works today.  With ACME, if the
> manufacturer is willing to answer the challenges, the device only
> needs some way to talk to the manufacturer when it wants a
> certificate, not have an actual online presence.  (Insert usual
> concerns about the manufacturer going out of business, etc...)

There's also the concern of how to get that scheme to work for
openwrt devices and similar, which is related. It'd be a fail
if that couldn't work I reckon.

Separately, I took a VPN-approach [1] in my highly-specific
environment - I wonder if something like that (replacing the
names and IPv6 addresses I used with device-id based names
and addresses) might address some of the privacy issues with
the first approach described. [2]

S.

[1]
https://my-own.net/ab/forum/question/3/how-did-you-get-https-within-the-home/