Option #1
Procure and deploy ISA as an application publishing device.  Note: investigate
the appliance versions - Way cool.
Pros: recommended method for publishing trusted network resources to
non-trusted or semi-trusted networks; only requires one easily monitored
network port to allow communications (TCP 80); can bridge SSL conversations for
additional protection options; etc
Cons: additional hardware/software to deploy and support

Option #2
Procure and deploy a second Sharepoint server in the DMZ. Allow two-way
communication between DMZ host to domain controllers, DNS, and SQL as if it
were a trusted resource.
Pros: easily done with current software and hardware expertise
Cons: Solution provides high risk of being hacked; Solution provides high
impact if hacked because the hacker has full run of the trusted servers from
the semi-trusted servers. DMZ servers tend to not be watched as well as trusted
hosts. Complex solution that requires a lot of moving parts causing higher
impact to problem resolution should the need arise. Also impacts upgrade
process should it be needed. In the final analysis, this would also likely not
be in line with the company security policy.  If it is in line with it, you may
want to fish around for a new CSO as there may soon be a vacancy :)

Option #3
Procure and deploy a second SP server in the dmz and connect it back via IPSec
tunnel to trusted network.
Pros: easier to set up with fewer network ports to allow
Cons: See Option #2 cons.  Add to that the inability to monitor any of the
conversation between the DMZ sp host and the trusted network hosts thereby
allowing an attacker the ability to freely move around the network without
being detected by IDSes. The list goes on...

Option #4
Allow external semi-trusted traffic to penetrate the hard candy shell of your
network to access SP resources on the trusted network via SSL or TCP80 traffic.
Pros: easily allowed without any further modification to internal systems;
increased reliability due to simplicity could be realized.
Cons: See cons for #3, #2 and add: The potential impact of a breach would be
severly critical because in addition to the specified trusted hosts that
solution #2 would allow, the attacker would have unrestricted (even trusted)
access to any system left out on your trusted network without having to hack
another machine to do so.  (Keep in mind that an attacker could gain control of
the DMZ host, then the DC, then have the same access, but we're talking about
risk management; security is never perfect.)

If you can't persuade them to go with option #1, then perhaps it would make
more sense for them to go ahead and just go with option #4 as it would at least
be more reliable.

My $0.04 anyway.  I'm sure there's something that can be added/modified but
this would be my first pass (rather, it has been a first pass in the past for
other applications :)

Keep in mind that it all comes back to your seucurity policy and I highly
encourage you to find out what that is and how this fits vs. listening to the
network administrator. Unless that's the same person in which case you may want
to just go with whatever is easier to support for you in the long run (just
kidding).

Al