No problem Al :)

My take on DMZ's are that although some people now feel they are no longer needed (or never were) I don't agree. The folks who feel that way have a valid point, but when I sit down to look at it I think: where is my time best invested in making my environment more secure? Or, in other words: What is going to make the biggest difference to the security of my network?

If you look at the sophistication of the majority of attacks, it's not very high. Most attacks you are going to get are script kiddies and although the potential is there that if they compromise a box in your DMZ they could continue their attack on your internal network via the ports you have open on the DMZ firewall, the likelyhood that they will get anywhere but the DMZ is pretty slim. Those script kiddies had an exploit that happened to work on your web server, but chances are your webserver is connecting to a different type of server on the backend so that same exploit just won't help them get any further. To me that makes the DMZ worth the effort since that will likely stop the majority of attacks from reaching your internal network.

If you get attacked by someone with a higher level of sophistication then you'll only be slowing them down. but if you have a well tuned IDS/IPS then that extra time may have given you enough time to be notified of the attack and try to do something about it, even if that is just unplugging the firewall to contain them.

A DMZ is definitely not the be-all end-all for security that it was once touted as, but I still think it is an important piece in the security puzzle. If you are a small company and can't afford a DMZ then I guess you would have to focus your efforts on other mitigation scenarios.

This was just a quick response, if you want more of an explanation of my view on DMZ's I'll try again on Monday :)

Phil