Since I've been away from home and only had the Windows laptop from
work with me, I used the opportunity to test the GTK+ backend.
Unfortunately, the build didn't even create a _gtk.dll, so I thought
we'd be out of luck unless we introduce a CMake build, as was done
with the engine itself.

However, it turns out that this is a user error (as usual):

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_254.html

The important lesson from that piece:

"So now you know how to build and link a simple Windows DLL using GNU
Autotools: You add `-no-undefined' to the Libtool library `LDFLAGS',
and include the `AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL' macro in your `configure.in'. "

I guess it might be interesting to go back and try that with the
engine too ... although if it works it might mean that we wasted quite
some time with CMake :-/. Well, at least we'd have learned something
new ...

Kai