Just to amend something in my previous post: I forgot that we already
impose a server-side restriction on addCriteria() calls that requires
all new criteria in a single call be associated with the same ad
group. So passing in new criteria for multiple ad groups in a single
call isn't an option.

Cheers,
-Jeff Posnick, AdWords API Team