From: Ken Hohhof
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2019 7:05 AM
To: 'AnimalFarm Microwave Users Group'
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Cambium

Seems like the radio is being used as a scapegoat.  If it’s an RF path issue,
there’s only so much magic the electronics can do.  Like a golfer blaming his
clubs for his bad score.  I don’t suppose they explained what features or specs
of the Aviat radios are going to fix the problem, or do they even know what the
problem is?

If they just need a few dB more fade margin, then yes, higher xmt power or
better rcv sensitivity or something like that could help.  A little.  Stuff
like 2048QAM or 4096QAM are going to increase the throughput under ideal
conditions and do nothing for performance under adverse conditions.  And the
thing about fading is we’re talking huge dB numbers, which is hard to overcome
with antenna gain or system margin where just a couple dB is difficult and
expensive.

Maybe this is what the future looks like with all this government funding and
accountability for meeting specs.  If you screw up, start looking around for a
vendor to blame, and insist they take the equipment back because it was bought
with CAF money.

Good points about the narrow beams and the use of a passive repeater.  It
wouldn’t take much atmospheric effects or tower twist to affect the RF path.

It’s also hard to believe they never had fading issues on the legacy equipment.
 I remember working for a telecom equipment manufacturer in the 80’s and common
wisdom was you couldn’t submit any new equipment for telco evaluation during
summer or “the fading season” because it was all hands on deck at the telcos to
keep their long haul microwave links from dropping.  I don’t know what manual
tweaking was involved, but apparently it was a big issue.  Just try binoculars
on a long microwave path on a hot day and see what the atmosphere does to the
image of that distant tower.  Now imagine that’s a billboard and you have to
make a bank shot off it.