The other thing they could do is add an extra battery slot to make up the difference if you're running NiMH. However, the cams we're using now know how to deal with NiMH, you just tell 'em that's what they've got, and they are fine.

On 10/4/2021 1:10 PM, dmmoff...@gmail.com wrote:
I would think with today's technology they could squeak a little solid state
converter on one end of the rechargeable cell to make it always put out 1.5v
until it's dead.
.....but I don't design batteries so wtf do I know

-----Original Message-----
From: AF <af-boun...@af.afmug.com> On Behalf Of Bill Prince
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2021 4:04 PM
To: af@af.afmug.com
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] OT: Alkaline Batteries

We have a half dozen or so trail cams for spotting wildlife around our
property.  They all take between 8 and 12 AA batteries.

Regular alkaline AA batteries do OK, but have to be tossed after 3 months or so.

So we have been using NiMH batteries, which are rechargable. They last as long
or longer than the alkaline and can be recharged hundreds of times.

We have learned a few things about the NiMH vs alkaline.

First, and possibly the most important is that NiMH run at a nominal 1.2 volts,
while alkaline run at a nominal 1.5 volts. Some devices just won't tolerate the
lower voltage, so you have to test them to see how they work. In the favor of
NiMH batteries, the voltage holds longer and does not go below 1.2 volts until
they are about done. Alkaline OTOH will continuously degrade from their nominal
voltage.

Second, don't get just any NiMH batteries, get Panasonic Eneloop Pro (black).
They last the longest, and will hold a charge longer while sitting on the shelf.

Finally, the NiMH "AA" batteries are a tiny bit larger diameter than alkaline.
Most devices are OK, but we have a few where shoe-horning the NiMH into the same space is
a bit of a challenge.

Also, as another alternative, you might look at Lithium
(non-rechargable) batteries. They are the same size and voltage as alkaline,
but will last 5-10 times longer. They are also the most expensive.